Give us a call today: 416-663-4777 for a free upfront estimate!
Low water pressure occurs in Hamilton homes when the water pressure decreases and it fails to reach the top level of a house. Low water pressure has a lot of implications and causes a lot of problems for homeowners.
To fix low water pressure, you need to identify the cause of the problem. If the cause of the problem is not determined, the problem will occur again. Frequent low water pressure problems could damage the structure of your home.
Reasons for low water pressure problems
- Malfunctioning water pressure regulator: Water pressure regulators are often set right from the factory and so they hardly get adjusted. But with age, they start to get defective.
- Plumbing or Water leaks: When your home plumbing system gets damaged, there will be leaks and water will start to escape. This will cause low water pressure.
- The buildup of debris inside pipes: Sand, dirt and other waste could get into your pipes. This will cause a blockage or buildup in the pipes which will in turn lead to low water pressure.
- Corrosion in pipes: Galvanized or steel piping get corroded by water. This corrosion could cause passageways in pipes to be blocked by dirt.
How to overcome low water pressure
Inspect the water pressure in your home: Check all the bathrooms, basement, outdoor faucets and kitchen to determine the areas where the low water pressure occurs. If the low water pressure problem is just in one area, then it is possible that the valve, pipe or aerator of that area is clogged. Take off the valve or aerator and replace or clean it.
- Repair any leaking pipe – Shut off the water valve in your home and check the meter. Check the meter again after some time. If there is any difference in the meter reading, then it means that there is a leak somewhere. You can repair minor leaks yourself, but you need a professional plumber to repair advanced leaks.
- Check for defective water pressure regulator – if your water pressure regulator is faulty, you need to replace it. If you are not too versatile with fixing water pressure regulators, allow a professional plumber fix it.
- Check for corrosion buildup – if there is corrosion buildup in your home, you should replace or restore all pipes.
If you believe the water pressure issues could be because of your drain, a drain line inspection can give you peace of mind. Make sure that you call the professionals at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing to help you with that.